Donut of Death: EOTech XPS2-0 Overview

“Yes, I’d like an assorted dozen. 6 glazed, 2 chocolate with sprinkles, 3 Raspberry jelly filled and one donut of death, Thanks.” 

Donut of Death: EOTech XPS2-0 Overview

A few months ago, a local range was having a Daniel Defense range day. You could test out a few of their rifles and talk to sales rep, the normal marketing thing. One of the rifles you could try out was a DD MK18, pretty cool. Well what’s even cooler is that is was FULL FREAKIN’ AUTO. So you can’t leave with trying it, right? Right. But unknown to the DD sales rep I wasn’t being sold on a DD rifle. I was admiring all of the optics they had outfitted their rifles with. It’s not often you get to play with expensive rifles but even more rare is having the opportunity of  trying out expensive optics. Well, for a normal everyday sport shooter like me, it is. The MK18 had a Vortex Razor AMG UH-1 mounted on it. Vortex’s answer to Eotech’s Holographic sights. I really liked it. It changed my mind about large, heavy, expensive red dot sights. So the choice for my next optic is a holographic weapon sight. Vortex? Or EOtech? If it wasn’t for the smokin’ deal I got on the EOtech I would be reviewing the vortex. Thank goodness for good deals! Because the glass on the EOtech is clear, the dot is crisp, and the reticle makes for quick and precise target acquisition.

I’ve always been a big fan of red dots. Heck, my primary carry pistol has one sitting atop of the slide. I love how you can put that dot on the target and your impact will be relatively accurate, no matter if the dot is perfectly center in the window or partially hidden in the top or bottom corner. That is because most red dots are almost parallax free. EOTech Holographic Weapon Sights are 100% parallax free. Your impact will be where you put the dot, as long as you do your part as a proficient marksman. So if the glass cracks or you have dirt and debris covering part of optics lens, you can position that dot  around the obstruction and still put rounds on target. It’s awesome! That is just one of the major advantages with choosing a HWS over a standard LED projected red dot.

This picture demonstrates the ability of how the Eotech is never out of the fight.
(Taken from the EOtech XPS2-0 Amazon.com product listing)

Secondly, is the reticle. I really like that circle dot or as I, and many others, like to call it the donut of death. A 65 MOA circle surrounds a 1 MOA dot. The circle draws my eye in to that small dot to make a precise shot. Now I have only got to shoot at a max of 25 yards, but I was pleased with the performance. The center dot should be zeroed at 50/200 (25/100) yards and the bottom of the circle will be be on target for 7 yards for close quarters shooting. The reticle does appear to be “pixelated.” Some find this to be very distracting. Personally, it does not bother me. When I superimpose the reticle on the target, I don’t even notice it. Only the circle has that pixilated appearance, the 1 MOA dot is very crisp even with my slight astigmatism. Very big positive for those with bad eyes.

Always aim for center donut. 🍩 

I will continually be updating this “review” as it time goes on. I haven’t had this optic very long. These are just the things I have experienced or have learned over the few weeks of OCD research. I would love to take some classes and run this optic the way it should be. I plan on trying out a magnifier (Burris) with it soon. I love the idea of having 1x that can be switched to 3x on demand. It’s a solid option people wanting a duty grade HWS.

*Full disclosure: I was given these donuts for review for free and was told I could keep them and didn’t have to send them back. I’m not a paid shill, I swear.*
no joke these donuts were free. I added them on at drive through window and they didn’t ring them up. 😂



Recipe for success (pros):

  • A true HWS that can be magnified without reticle growth. (with a standard RDS a 3 MOA dot will grow to 9 MOA dot while using a 3x magnifier.)
  • Powered by 1 CR123A battery (same as most weapon mounted lights.1 battery size for all accessories) 
  • Easily mounted and can easily be removed
  • Crystal clear glass
  • 12 brightness settings for all lighting conditions
  • I personally think it looks really cool and futuristic
  • Auto shutoff feature that is user programmable (4 hours when turned on with the down arrow, 8 with up.)
  • Seems to be very rugged 
  • More streamlined and less boxy than the Vortex UH-1
  • Great sight picture and field of view


Could use a little S&P (cons and suggestions):
  • Slightly bulky, but better than the 512 variants 
  • Battery life
  • Expensive, but rightly so
  • No ambient light sensor (can also be a pro, depending)
  • If the reticle is too bright, it will very slightly ghost.
  • It would be nice to have a “shake awake” feature
😎



Comments